Tips for stimulating your baby from birth to 2 yearsFebruary 9, 2018
Children and TantrumsApril 19, 2018
Working parents today are just busy, busy, busy! Sometimes we are unable to pay as much attention as we need to our kids. We have so many things to do and such little time to do them. Everything is just a mad rush. As a parent of three grown children I remember vividly the pressure to get school homework done and the early morning cries to usher them out of bed in the morning so that they are not late for school. Phew! What a task.
Let’s face it, if we want the best for them, we just have to do our bit. Below are six simple tips we at Tumble Tots Pre-School recommend to help parents.
- REST: After school, a short rest is definitely needed. It’s been a tiring day and they probably had to get out early if you live in a busy traffic gridlocked city like Lagos. Whether it’s a nap or just play time, let them chill out don’t immediately load them with a range of lesson classes to occupy them, afterall they have been in lesson all day at school.
- HOMEWORK: After rest, it is time to get homework done. Best get it out of the way or it comes back to haunt you just before bedtime. Ensure you give them the support needed.
- HOME SUPPORT: Support the school with whatever extras that needs to be done at home such as gathering stuff for a project or doing some internet research together with your child. No child likes to be the one left out when they have nothing to show.
- MEDIA / TECHNOLOGY DISTRACTIONS: Cut out TV, social media access, video, phone and computer games during the week. They don’t need it anyway. It’s a distraction and it robs them of their concentration in the classroom and makes it a challenge for them to focus attention on their homework. As a teacher with many years of experience, this advice has worked wonders and we have seen children who were struggling at school come on in leaps and bounds once parents were brave enough to switch off the gadgets. Save it till the weekend, they will live and let you live once they know it’s the norm.
- STAY CONNECTED: Stay in touch with your kids. Know what’s going on with them. What their challenges and fears are. The teacher can’t successfully do this for 20 odd kids in the course of a day in the class. It’s best to nip problems in the bud early before they escalate. Stay in touch with the teacher and keep on top of things.
- EARLY BED: Get the school bag packed the night before and get them to bed early and ensure they have breakfast before rushing out of the house in the morning. A decent sleep and a full tummy are critical for an alert mind. Help ensure they have all they need to start the day right.
Tumble Tots Pre School is a Pre school in Lekki,Lagos. These are some of the tips we are sharing to educate parents. For even more tips or to learn more about us, kindly visit our contact page.
Good luck, it all ends one day!